Thursday, January 15, 2009

Vintage Tess : Nightmares (2006)

I wrote this in 2006.  It's not the best quality recording (sorry!) but it's on the top of my list of songs to "redo" with better background/vocals/percussion/instruments etc... What do you think?


Nightmares

It's stormy this September and I'm sitting on my balcony
Watching the flames of streetlights flicker 'cross a black sea
and there's a song on the radio
some sweet old melody
that reminds me that I'm all alone
but I don't know where I'd like to be
do do do

it's a long way to California
To bury my toes in the sad
And all the dreams of dreamtown
Won't turn it into the promised land
So let's keep on building mansions
buy up the land of the free
I'll be turning the pages of my paperback to escape from this reality
do do do



CHORUS:
And the man on the street
Says it's time to go back to 1959
Well, I've never been there, and I'm stuck around here
Wonderin' what to make of my own time
They'll keep fighting their wars
They'll keep paying their whores
and we'll all sleep tight at night
And when all of our worst nightmares come true
Maybe we'll just give up the fight.
do do do

Some people turn to Jesus
Some turn on their computer screen
Some hide behind their poety
with only their music for company.
And my song plays on the radio
That sweet old melody
Makes me think of candlelight and street lamps on a black sea

CHORUS X2

And when all of my worst nightmares come true, maybe I'll just give up the fight.

1 comment:

  1. The part when you play the chorus with two voices at different pitches is really sweet. Very nice song!

    ~ Your friend and '21F.346 colleague' Karim

    ReplyDelete